Wednesday, July 6, 2016

WELL ROUNDED!!!

Over the last month I have been forced to be creative with my gym time, as it has been limited. I have still been following the D.F.C. training schedule and  have also added some other things. Today, I was taught how to play racquetball and I have to say it is challenging but that cardio is so valuable. My focus has really always been endurance and strength. I want to be able to lift (light or heavy, but I LOVE heavy) and also be able to engage in other sports and activities without getting winded (running, boxing, biking, stairs...). I know so many people that do so many different things and depending when they ask me if I want to go do this or that, I want to be able to say sure! I don't want to turn down opportunities to do something new because I feel I may get winded or slow someone else down. I want to be confident that I can keep up no matter what the activity is. WELL ROUNDED. I have always said that. I want to be a well rounded athlete.



Now, don't get me wrong. I do know that when you are in the process of training for something specific, that THING needs your undivided attention. For example, should I ever decide to do a deadlifting competition; deadlifting is what I will be focusing on 80% of the time. Since I am not in training for anything, then I'm going to be dabbling in a bit of everything. Anything except winter sports (when the season comes; I HATE the cold).



This upcoming week I will be heading to Palos Heights to climb stairs and run the trails. I have a few people that are planning on coming with me but when the time comes we will see who actually shows up. The stairs are steep and brutal but provide a ridiculous workout. People of all fitness levels tackle these things and everyone there truly understands the struggle (with the stairs that is). If you are ever in the Palos Heights, Illinois area; DON'T PASS UP THIS FITCHALLENGE!!! :-)



There is one last thing that I want to do before the weather turns bad and that's rock climb. I think I would like to start out with a gigantic rock climbing wall, then hit a very short mountain somewhere to climb. I mean a VERY SHORT one. I really like hiking as well but I hate the bugs, however I'm going to have to overlook that aspect of it and just get out there. I am learning to embrace the outdoors as it has a tendency to challenge the body a bit. Especially if what you are doing is new to you. That's when you start to see progress. That also happens in the gym as well that is why it is recommended that you change your workout program every 4-6 weeks. Once your body becomes efficient at doing something, if you don't change it up or increase the intensity progress slows and eventually stops. However, efficiency is a beautiful thing.



Between weight lifting and involving myself in other activities when possible, I feel that I will soon be back on the fat loss track. My diet is on point and I'm drinking a little over a gallon of water a day. I love being in the gym and will keep my current lifting schedule but will also be adding some things that my body is not used to. Hopefully I can avoid the dreaded plateaus and increase my overall endurance and health. Most importantly, I want to make sure that I'm having fun while I'm doing it! I'll keep you posted!
~me



No comments:

Post a Comment